Pinterest

For unique Bridal and Prom Accessories click on my website below:

Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23

Recycled Cozy Collar Tutorial

I brought all my Autumn/Winter clothes out of the loft this week and, because I have put lots of weight on, since gving up smoking, I now have a number of cotton fleece/ sweatshirt tops that no longer fit me. The good condition ones will go to the dress agency, to earn a few pennies to buy some bigger ones - but the others are going to be made into "Cozy Collars".
These are perfect to just slip over your head before heading out into the cold - really snuggly and warm.
 
I've put a tutorial together so you can make your own - however if you are not confident in sewing, I would be happy to make you one on commission in your favourite colours.
 
Cozy Collar Tutorial
 
First lay one of your sweat shirts out flat. cut a bib shape from shoulders to whatever size and shape you want your cozy collar to be.
 
 Trim the surplus fabric from the back as shown in the picture.

Now comes the labourious part! Cut approximately 100 circles from however many sweatshirts you wish to use. I used two brown sweatshirts - but you could use a selection of any amount/colour.
 
I used a tumbler to draw around, but you could use any size circular object. All of my circles are the same size but you can mix sizes as well as colours to give a more textured look.
 
Lay one circle on top of another and fold in half
 
Then fold in half again
(sorry not sure how those old ladies hands got in the picture!)

Then stitch each folded piece onto the collar at random intervals. Once you have stitched a few on they will "fall into" each other and give a great ruffled effect.
Continue adding the circles until the whole of the bib is covered

When finished you should have something like this...
Hoping for a chilly day tomorrow so I can wear mine!
I'm really pleased with how it came out.
Recycled, unique and cozy warm :-)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment